Friday, January 29, 2010

Dedication verses Baptism


I come from a family that was raised Lutheran. We (my brother and I) were then also raised in the Lutheran church and was taught to believe that we are to baptise babies. Well I am now a mother of 3 and a Christian and have had my 2 eldest children dedicated to the Lord. Dedication process includes the following: the pastors of the church has our family come up to the altar; they announce the name of our baby and what that name means; then they pray for such child and give that baby to the Lord (meaning that we dedicate this child to you God and pray that He will direct his or her path).

Why we do this: We Dedicate because we believe that it should be the choice of our children to be baptised. We believe that a baptism is something sacred and that it should be made when you can fully understand WHY people get baptised. At our church they have a baptism class so that you learn what it means to be baptised and read all the scripture pertaining to baptism. NOTE: I was baptised as a baby and then I chose to be baptised AGAIN as an adult.


NOTE:In the bible there is not one mention of a baby being baptised.


So like I said before, I was raised Lutheran. Some of my family think that this gesture is "weird". Well all I have to say is that we all have the right to believe what it is that we believe. I will have Samuel Patrick dedicated this Sunday to our Lord. THAT is what I have chosen to do~!


Can I get an AMEN!

P.S. I read through this again and this could be taken the wrong way... I was just merely educating you about the dedication process not saying anything is the matter with baby baptism!

3 comments:

Wrestling Kitties said...

I like this post. I am catholic and like the idea of baptism. I think that it is more a symblic tradition then anything else (i.e. I don't believe if we don't baptise our children they will not go to heaven). But I think it is a way to show that you are committed to raising your child within your church. I think that getting baptised again as an adult would be nice because sometimes we forget the reason baptism is important in the first place.

Jill Marie said...

W.K. I have always had that fear also. (that they would go to hell if not baptised). I was also taught that " They are not children of God" My answer to that is simple.. When you ask the Lord to be your Savior and believe that he died on the cross for your sins and proclaim him to be Gods son than that is all you need for your salvation. It says in the bible if you deny me on earth I will deny you before my father.
Thanks for the comment! I like to be stirred up in my faith!!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

I have liked reading your blog!