Tuesday, January 8, 2008



Lipoma

Have you ever heard of such a thing?

STORY: About four days ago I took my kids sledding and Nina, my 65 lb German Shepard tagged along. Well lets just say that at the end of our very last run Evan was standing at the bottom of the hill and Nina plowed into him like a 200lb football player.

So he has been sore and not sleeping that great. Last night he was complaining that his head hurt. So being the mother that I am, I thoroughly check every inch of his little head. That's when I found a pea size lump. In the morning I called the doctor and they got him in right away.

His diagnosis: Lipoma

A lipoma is a harmless lump of fat. There are several different types, classified mainly by where they appear. The most common location is just beneath the skin, where they are easily felt, but they can occur anywhere.
Most tissue in the body can grow beyond its normal limits and form a lump or tumor. Tumors come in two forms: benign and malignant. Malignancies are referred to as cancers, which rarely stop growing. Benign tumors reach a certain size and then stop growing. Moles, polyps, and lipomas are examples of benign tumors. Some of these can turn into cancers, but lipomas do not.

SIDE NOTE: When the doctor said he thought it what Lipoma, I heard LYMPHOMA. Can you imagine the look on my face. I am sitting there thinking this doctor just touched my son's head and diagnosed him with cancer??? But, then he started to desrcibe it and I felt my heart go back into my chest.

0 comments: